sorry friends, I spaced the blog yesterday! You know that phrase “I was putting out fires all day” Well, it was literal and figurative for me yesterday! Yesterday morning I lit a nice vanilla candle and was relatively sure that Byron wasn’t going to bug it. After all, he was looking at it and constantly saying “hot, hot” which means that he knows not to touch it. What he didn’t know, apparently, was that you are also not supposed to touch anything ELSE to the fire. It seems what happened (of course I was in the other room….) is that Byron stuck a birthday card over the flame. I didn’t get wind of this until my smoke detector went off and and my buffet had a flaming card and napkin on it. I freaked out for a minute and tried to smother it with my large sweatshirt sleeve. This was ineffective (and generally a bad idea). Then, I grabbed the first thing I saw on the floor, Byron’s blanket, doused it in water and threw it over the flames. That worked (put this in your memory bank, ladies) on the 6-8 inch diameter fire. My buffet was only charred, and Byron’s blanket survived after a wash.
In other news, I was in charge of decorating for my friend Easten’s wedding last Saturday. We made topiaries like this one for reception centerpieces. I got the pot at ikea for $.50 and the rest of the stuff at save-on-crafts.com (great site!!) for $8 or $9 or so per table.