To go along with the prioritizing idea in Gretchen’s post, I found the links in this GirlTalk post very helpful reminders for prioritizing my time, especially during the Christmas season.
Similarly, I take a planning time weekly (well, almost every week!!) to help me to keep my priorities straight. The questions I ask myself are:
1. What were your concerns in the past week about the schedule?
2. What is going on with Andrew? How can I love him next week?
3. What is going on with Ruth? How can I love her next week?
4. What is going on with Byron? How can I love him next week?
5. What has not been done around the house lately?
6. What’s for dinner?
7. What’s going on next week and what needs to be done?
Then, I assign a day to each of my family members with the special thing I will do with/for them. Examples:
Andrew: get shirts ironed, massage night, baked goods
Ruth: go to library, paint, have her help bake something (it’s great when they overlap!)
Byron: hug time, wrestle time, playing together