When it comes to meals I HATE PLANNING!! However, this hatred does not serve me well when I have to have dinner ready for 6 plus people every night or want to extend hospitality which I LOVE doing. I have discovered that I really like being creative with food. I love trying new things and knowing how to tweak a recipe to make it better. So with so many conflicts for me to sift through I will just share my general philosophy :)
- I always keep my pantry stocked with common/seasonal items. For example, during soup season I usually always have carrots, celery, onions, all kinds of beans, chicken stock and canned tomatoes. During the summer months I make a lot of cold salads so I keep farmer’s market produce, cous cous, pasta and tuna. I have learned what I like to make during the different seasons and adjust the groceries accordingly. We have people over enough that really nothing I buy goes to waste.
- I have some simple, basic recipes that are my fall back recipes. This provides me a platform to branch out but not always feel the pressure of having to come up with something new every night.
- I do plan meals for nights when I know we are having guests or for the holidays.
- My current favorite meals are those I can pop in the oven and set the timer and leave it :)
- I always have different recipes running through my head, so I will have an idea for the recipes I want to make for like a 2 week period so when I go to the grocery store I keep those in mind and buy accordingly. I have made so many recipes that I can now go to the grocery store and if there is a mega sale on hamburger rather than pork and I can adjust (or whatever). I am trying in general to cut back on meat and cook more with beans and such to save money.
- Friday night is NACHO night!!!!
- I have trained my older daughter to make pancakes for Saturday morning or breakfast for dinner :)