I’m on a pumpkin kick! (But hey, it’s only fall once a year, right?) We tried this soup last week (per Matt’s encouraging and my skepticism) and REALLY enjoyed it! I got past the fact that it wasn’t a sweet pumpkin flavor, like all the other pumpkin things I’m used to, but it was a deliciously light savory pumpkin. It was wonderful with some biscuits … although THEY weren’t low-carb! :) Give it a try and enjoy! (I didn’t serve it in a pumpkin, but isn’t that a great idea!?)
Low-Carb Pumpkin & Sausage Soup
- 16 ounces country style sausage (the kind in a tube)
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1-2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large pot, brown sausage, drain, then add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add the pumpkin and broth and mix well.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the milk, sour cream and water.
- Serve and enjoy!